Books & Publications by Emily Iland
- The number of children with autism is growing, and they are growing up. Most families, many educators and others involved in the process often feel unprepared to help youth with the transition to adulthood. Our new book, Come to Life! Your Guide to Self-Discovery by Emily Iland and Tom Iland, offers unique insights and activities to help youth discover important truths about themselves.
Come to Life has two voices: a self-advocate and a parent/professional. Tom guides self-advocates through the process of self-discovery so they can be in the driver’s seat to their future. Emily guides the adult allies who are helping a young person with ASD navigate the transition to adult life.
Come to Life is an invaluable prerequisite for transition planning, and is already a best-seller! Get your copy at ThomasIland.com.
- Come to Life is now available in Spanish! El número de niños con autismo está creciendo y ellos están creciendo. La mayoría de las familias, muchos educadores y otras personas involucradas a menudo no se sienten preparados para ayudar a los jóvenes con la transición a la edad adulta. Nuestro nuevo libro Come to Life! Your Guide to Self-Discovery por Tom Iland y Emily Iland puede ser una parte de la solución. Ahora nos hace mucha ilusión ofrecer la versión en español, ¡Ven a la Vida! Tu guía para el autodescubrimiento.
¡Ven a la Vida! tiene dos voces y dos audiencias: auto-defensores y padres/profesionales. Tom guía a otros jóvenes con autismo u otra discapacidad por el proceso de auto-descubrimiento para que puedan dirigir su vida en la dirección que quieren ir. Emily guía a los adultos aliados que están ayudando a un joven a navegar la transición a la vida adulta. ¡Ven a la Vida! está disponible en ThomasIland.com.
Contáctenos para reservar una presentación o aprender más.
- BE SAFE The Movie (Camino Cinema, 2013). This first-of-its-kind DVD uses video modeling to show teens and adults how to interact safely with the police in different everyday encounters. Seven episodes teach skills including following laws to stay out of trouble, following instructions from the police, self-disclosure of disability and the right to remain silent.
- BE SAFE Teaching Edition (Camino Cinema, 2013). The Companion Curriculum for BE SAFE The Movie includes more than 300 pages of differentiated activities, materials, goals and resources to help a wide range of learners master the key safety skills of BE SAFE.
- CUíDATE: Guía de Enseñanza (Camino Cinema, 2014). The Spanish-language edition of BE SAFE curriculum includes more than 300 differentiated activities, materials, goals and resources in Spanish to help a wide range of learners master the key safety skills of BE SAFE.
- Drawing A Blank: Improving Comprehension for Readers on the Autism Spectrum (Autism Asperger Publishing Company, 2011). This ground-breaking book offers both scholarly and practical information on reading comprehension and autism. DaB makes the connection between features of autism and comprehension failure in those who can decode well but don’t really understand the meaning of what they read. DaB and offers easy-to-implement evidence-based and promising strategies to improve comprehension.
- Autism Spectrum Disorders from A to Z, co-authored with Barbara T. Doyle (Future Horizons, 2004). Winner of the Exceptional Parent Magazine Symbol of Excellence in 2007, this practical, comprehensive guide offers in-depth information to help readers understand autism and its causes, accept the diagnosis, explain autism to the person who has it, and advocate to help an individual with ASD receive services needed to progress.
- Los Trastornos del Espectro de Autismo de la A a la Z, the Spanish-language version of Autism Spectrum Disorders from A to Z (Translated and published by Emily Iland, Inc., 2005). Winner of the Autism Society of America’s 2006 Outstanding Literary Work of the Year and the Exceptional Parent Magazine Symbol of Excellence in 2007, this book is now out-of-print. Look for a new book in Spanish in 2017!
Collaborator or chapter contributor
By Understanding Autism, I Can Better Understand My Child: Manual for Latino families of children with ASD by Sandy Magaña, Emily Iland, Nelsinia Wroblewski, Rebecca Paradiso and Wendy Machalicek. (2010, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Waisman Center). This guide is the foundation of a culturally relevant educational program specially designed for Spanish-speaking families of children with autism. The guide is currently being used in a randomized, controlled study to determine the effectiveness of delivering this content in an in-home setting with 1:1 attention.
Meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder in What really works in elementary education: Research-based practical strategies for every teacher. (W. W. Murawski & K. L. Scott (Eds.), Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2014). The user-friendly chapter on autism helps elementary educators learn what works – and what doesn’t – with students on the spectrum.
Meeting the needs of students with autism spectrum disorder in What really works in secondary education: Research-based practical strategies for every teacher. (W. W. Murawski & K. L. Scott (Eds.), Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2014). The user-friendly chapter on autism helps junior high and high school educators learn what works – and what doesn’t – with students on the spectrum.